Qani Xiite - San Culture in Botswana

Qani Xiite describes and demonstrates the San Culture - the oldest inhabitants of Botswana. Qani uses music, dance and stories to describe her life.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Why I Perform Traditional Dance

Qani started traditional dance when she was 6 years old, that was in 1988. Her dancing is divided into 3 themes: hunting dance, healing dance and play/game dance. Qani did some dancing when she was in school.

She left school early, but was given assistance by a Norwegian couple. They helped her to continue with reading and writing. After they left and returned to Norway, Qani was more on her own. It was "then I started thinking of promoting our culture and making some beads. As I have realized that we have lost our culture - that's why I have found it necessary to promote it."

Qani wants other San to benefit from her dancing and talking about San Culture. "My aim, as youth of this country, is to inform others and educate them so that we can be a proud nation with our heritage. "

2 Comments:

At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for bringing the culture of the San people to life. I will be in Maun starting July 5, 2006, I will be doing what I can to understand more of the culture. This will be my second visit to teh area. On my first visit, I was lucky eenought to interview a number of people and I intend to do more interviews this time too.
Good luck, and maybe I will get to meet you.
Mike Despot
Boise Idaho U.S.A.

 
At 4:18 AM, Blogger Oceandavid said...

Looking forward to meeting you. I advised Qani yesterday of your July 5th arrival. She performs once or twice a week at the Sedia Riverside Hotel - people in the Internet Cafe usually know her whereabouts.

A campsite or rooms are available at Sedia. You can call me at 6861828, after you arrive or request further information. Cheers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Check out my lens